This copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole recipe makes a delicious and cheesy breakfast, lunch, or side dish. With only eight ingredients, this recipe is super simple to make and will impress everyone’s taste buds.
Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
This hash brown breakfast casserole is an all-time favorite Cracker Barrel dish. Lucky for you, with this recipe, this beloved dish can be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home.
I love this recipe for its homey flavors, from the tender potatoes to the crispy bacon to the gooey cheese. It’s one of my favorite copycat recipes.
Serve it on its own or alongside a warm breakfast of fluffy pancakes and scrambled eggs. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this hearty dish. Like breakfast any time of the day? Check out my Biscuits and Gravy Casserole or this Pancake Bacon Casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
- Russet Potatoes: Russet potatoes are ideal for baking because they become tender in the oven. Feel free to substitute fresh potatoes for a 32oz bag of frozen shredded hash browns.
- Butter: Unsalted butter works best for this recipe.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Cream of chicken adds heartiness to the dish. You can sub cream of mushroom if you prefer.
- Sour Cream: Original or light will both work here.
- Yellow Onion: Yellow onion has a unique sweetness that will add to the comforting warm flavors in this casserole.
- Bacon: I love my bacon crispy, but feel free to prepare it your favorite way. You may also substitute traditional bacon for an alternative such as turkey bacon or plant-based bacon.
- Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese melts best when it is freshly grated, but you can also buy it pre-shredded.
- Salt: Salt works to accentuate all the complementing flavors in this dish.
- Ground Black Pepper: Black pepper is a versatile spice that adds earthiness to the dish, making it feel like home.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a sweet pepper flavor without a lot of spice.
How to make Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Shred the potatoes and spread them out on a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
- Combine the potatoes, melted butter, chopped onion, and bacon in a large bowl. Add in half of the cheese and the rest of the spices.
- Spread the mixture in the baking pan and top it off with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese on top begins bubbling. Enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
How do I store leftovers?
Store the leftover casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze it?
Yes! Make sure the casserole completely cools after baking. Then, wrap it tightly and store it in the freezer for up to two months. To reheat, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F.
How do I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
To make this recipe meat free, substitute the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom and remove the bacon.
To make this dish vegan friendly, follow the vegetarian substitutions and swap out the butter, sour cream, and cheddar cheese for your favorite plant-based alternative.
Is Hashbrown Casserole crockpot friendly?
Of course! Prepare the casserole like normal and cook in the Crockpot on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3 ½ hours. Add on the cheese topping just before serving.
Best Casserole Tips
- After 45 minutes, check the casserole every 5-10 minutes to avoid over-browning.
- Generously grease the pan with a nonstick cooking spray to avoid sticking or burning on the bottom.
- Freshly grate your cheese rather than buying pre-shredded. Freshly grated cheese melts faster and more evenly.
- To create a crispy top, sprinkle breadcrumbs or panko just before baking.
- Cut your ingredients into small pieces, all the same size, for even cooking.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, pin this to your favorite casserole Pinterest board and share it on your favorite social media channels!
This cheesy Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole goes great with any side dish or even on its own! No matter how you eat it, you are guaranteed to feel at home with this comfort food.
- 2 pounds (about 4-5) russet potatoes, peeled & shredded
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can of cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pat the shredded potatoes on paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except half the shredded cheddar cheese for topping.
- Spread casserole mixture into the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Leftovers Then Breakfast.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 1719mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and we can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
Craving More Casseroles?
BestCasseroleRecipes.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.