My family makes this Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole every year for Christmas morning, featuring crispy hash browns, delicious sausage and cheesy goodness all wrapped into one easy recipe.
Best Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If you’ve been searching for a good breakfast casserole that you can make for a larger crowd on those holiday mornings, this is the recipe for you!
This easy breakfast casserole has become my go-to recipe for hosting Sunday brunch because it’s something that I know the entire family is going to love. Cheesy sausage hash browns are super easy to make ahead of time and serve the next morning.
Freeze an individual portion for the next time you have a busy weekend and don’t have time to cook breakfast.
This delicious sausage hash brown casserole is a great recipe for a holiday breakfast or brunch. I highly recommend trying it for yourself!
If you want to serve one during a busy weekday or make “breakfast for dinner,” try my Biscuits and Gravy Casserole or Pancake Bacon Casserole.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
- Ground pork sausage – Swap for turkey sausage, Italian sausage, chicken breakfast sausage, or smoked sausage as well. Spicy Jimmy Dean is my favorite!
- Hash browns – Use frozen hash browns to save time. Or swap with tater tots or refrigerated shredded hash browns.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – If you can’t find sharp, try using a mild cheddar cheese or shredded cheese of your choice.
- Sour cream – Substitute for Greek yogurt or room temperature cream cheese as well.
- Milk or half & half – For a thicker and creamier casserole, choose half and half.
- Pantry items – Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, large eggs.
How To Make Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat to medium-high heat, cook sausage and drain excess grease. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and half and half or milk.
- Pour egg mixture into a large bowl, and mix with cooked sausage, hashbrowns, one cup cheese, sour cream, onion and garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine sausage mixture.
- Spread in baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with sliced green onions or parsley if desired.
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
How To Store Leftovers
Whether you want to make this at night for the next day or keep it for a few days until you’re ready to serve, this easy hashbrown breakfast casserole can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To reheat, just remove from the fridge and and follow the cooking time in the recipe instructions.
Can I make it ahead of time?
This is one of my favorite recipes for an overnight breakfast casserole because it’s extremely easy to make ahead and serve when you’re ready.
The first step is to make the recipe according to the instructions. If you are planning on serving this casserole within a few days, cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap, before removing to bake for a little more time than listed in the directions.
For freezing, hold off on baking this dish until you’re about to serve it. When you’re ready, take it out of the freezer and bake until fully heated through.
Can I Make My Own Hashbrowns?
The best way to step up this sausage casserole recipe is to make your own hash browns, rather than using frozen. For this, I use shredded brown potatoes and start with two separate bowls.
After placing shredded potatoes in a bowl of cold water and washing off the starch, move them to another bowl with clean water. After a second rinse, drain as much of the water as possible and pat dry with paper towels. Cook small pieces in a skillet until crispy, making sure to flip so you brown both sides. Serve and enjoy homemade tasty hash browns in your delicious breakfast casserole!
Best Casserole Tips
- To pack in more veggies, try adding in red bell pepper or green pepper to the recipe.
- Use finely chopped onion instead of onion powder.
- For a little kick, try adding red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the top of your egg casserole breakfast bake.
- If your cheese on top starts to burn, cook covered with aluminum foil for the majority of the time and remove for the last 10 minutes.
- Since the cheese topping is usually the best part of this delicious casserole, make sure that you’re adding plenty. When reheating, add on a little extra cheese to top off this sausage breakfast casserole.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, pin this to your favorite casserole Pinterest board and share it on your favorite social media channels!
Gather your family around the table first thing in the morning for this sausage hash brown breakfast casserole, made with delicious hash browns, egg bake, melty cheese, and savory sausage. This classic recipe blew me away the first time that I made it, and I’m so excited to share it with all of you.
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
This tasty breakfast casserole is loaded with savory sausage, tender hash browns, and fluffy eggs! Prep the night before and bake when ready!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 24 ounces refrigerated hash browns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk or half and half
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink, drain if desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked sausage, hash browns, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper. And milk mixture.
- Mix to combine.
- Spread evenly in the casserole dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley or green onions if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 1299mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and we can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
Craving More Casseroles?
BestCasseroleRecipes.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.